Thursday, February 16, 2012

My New Favorite Vegetable!

Okay, so I never get excited about vegetables, but I am soooo excited tonight! The other day, my sister told me about this wonderful vegetable that is so versatile and that I really needed to try. I was a little skeptical (although I didn't tell her that), but found this scrumptious recipe on pinterest  and just had to give it a shot. Have I peaked your interest yet? Well then, take a look at this little cutie...

                                                   

In case you haven't figured it out yet, it's SPAGHETTI SQUASH! The really cool thing is that you cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, put it in the microwave for a little bit, and then shred the insides with a fork. It comes out kind of like noodles (hence the name), or shredded hash browns. I love squash anyway, so I'm not sure why I haven't tried this before. So, the even better news is that this little beauty is loaded with nutrients and is low in calories! Wow, I can't believe I just rambled on so much about a vegetable...

Have any of you tried spaghetti squash? I'd love to hear your comments, suggestions, opinions!

Here is the link to the recipe I tried, (Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin) but I did alter it a little, so I'm included my variation of it below.

Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin
Okay, so my picture looks like a hot mess, but it was really, really good!
Adapted from Dandy Dishes

Ingredients:
1 Medium Spaghetti Squash
1 Small Onion
2 Tbsp Butter
1 Clove Garlic (Minced)
1 Tsp Thyme
1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream



Directions:
Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Put in microwave safe bowl with 1/4inch of water and microwave for 10 minutes. While that is cooking, slice the onion very thin and begin to melt the butter in a skillet. Once the butter is melted, add garlic, red pepper flakes, thyme, & onions. Saute until onions are brown. Once the squash is done, shred the insides with a fork and blend with onions, cream, and 3/4 cup of the cheese. Put into a greased casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment